How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14217
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I met a lady this week who became a UK resident during 17/18

This answer was rated:

I met a lady this week who became a UK resident during 17/18 TY. Previously resident and domiciled (still is) in Thailand.She has owned two UK properties since 2014/15 TY but not paid any tax in the UK.Does she need to complete tax returns for 14/15, 15/16 and 16/17 to declared the rental profit? It's above £2,500.Is she entitled to any personal allowance for those periods?She moved to the UK 12 August 2017 permanently (on visa). On what date does she become resident?Would she be entitled to personal allowance in 17/18 and would it need to be pro-rated for the period non-res?This has been prompted by her bank (HSBC) who have sent her a CRS-I - individual tax residency self certification form and who I presume will be giving information to HMRC.Thank you

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


Yes she needs to fill in tax returns for 2014/2015 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 and no she is not entitled to any personal allowances for those periods as not UK resident or a UK/EEA citizen

She becomes UK resident from 12/08/2017 and will get full personal allowances for the year they are not pro rata'd she also has to declare any foreign income remitted or spent in the UK



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you