How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15980
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I worked for six weeks in July last year at a salary that

This answer was rated:

Hi I worked for six weeks in July last year at a salary that put me in the higher tax bracket , I left after six weeks and went back to my old job at a lower salary but the tax office say I’m in that higher tax bracket until the new tax year in April this year , I’m paying a fortune in tax on a lower salary can this be right ? Will I get a refund ? Thanks Jane

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

When you left the low paid job to go to the high paid job did you hand your P45 from the old employer to the new employer? Then, when you left the high paid job to go back to the old low paid job did you hand your P45 from the old employer to the new employer? Can you either upload a copy of your last payslip using the paperclip tool to tell me the gross pay to date and the tax deducted to date. What tax code are you on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My tax code from 04/2017 to 2018 is1081L replacing 924L and my private NHS pension code has changed to BR , my P45 was sent albeit apparently delayed by a few weeks , not sure how to send paper clip copies my son may know tomorrow when I went back to my lower paid job my tax code I 0/9 wasOTM1 and in 11/2917 1081L in 12/2012 it was 500LM1 I just don’t get how for 6 weeks work in July / August I’m still paying so much tax with no refund thanks Jane

If your code has been 1081L from April 2017 to the present, as long as it is a Cumulative code as opposed to a Month 1 code and has been used in all three of your jobs, your tax should be about right. A full personal allowance with no deductions would give you a 1100L tax code which isn't much different yours. Assuming your total income in 2017/18 will not exceed £45,000, then the BR code on your NHS pension is correct. I would need to see your payslip or the gross pay and tax to date and know whether your tax code is cumulative or month 1 to be able to comment further. I'm happy to wait for more information until tomorrow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

The 2016/17 tax code is irrelevant so we can ignore that. The 2017/18 924L tax code is saying that you owe tax for an earlier tax year as well as for the current tax year and is or was (you say it has been replaced by 1081L which is a better tax code from your point of view) collecting that from your pay. The P45 is no good to me as as I cannot see the pay and tax. The same goes for the payslip as I cannot see the totals for the year to date. I need to see an up to date payslip with your pay and tax to date on it and a copy of the current tax code 1081L.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I wasn’t given part one of my P45 so missing some details.

Thanks. I'll take a look at these.

The 2016/17 tax code ius irrelevant so forget that.

You said your tax code was 1081L. The December 2017 payslip has you on a 500L X tax code which was issued in November 2017. X means that your tax position for 2017/18 will need to be reviewed at the end of the tax year. HMRC think you owe tax for an earlier tax year and for the current tax year and they are collecting as much of that as they can before 5 April by restricting your personal allowance. I cannot see that your earnings from the earlier job are being taken into account and so I cannot say whether you owe tax for the earlier part of the current tax year or not. HMRC have the right to adjust a tax code to collect tax that should have been collected earlier in the year and unless you can prove that you don't owe tax for the earlier part of the tax year or tell me what you earned in your previous two jobs and the tax paid on those earnings to enable me to do the calculations, you will have to wait until the end of the year and ask HMRC to issue a P800 tax calculation which will include all your earnings for 2017/18. That will tell you that you have either paid too much or too little tax.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you