How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5152
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Firstly a little intro from me! I have a pda in bookkeeping

This answer was rated:

Hi folks,Firstly a little intro from me! I have a pda in bookkeeping that I trained for 8 years ago whilst on maternity leave from my job in banking, purely on the basis of doing my hubbys books i do not work for anyone else and just do basic bookkeeping for my husband so Im not the most experienced of bookkeepers!We have a query regarding VAT on a van purchase, my husband is a VAT registered sole trader, my husbands son (my step son) is an employee only and wishes to purchase a double cab pick up that he would use partly for private use but partly for business use for my husbands business (I believe the double cab pick up can be classed as a van going by HMRC guidance) my query is can we reclaim the VAT on the pickup purchase through my husbands business in any way As my step son will be using it as partly business use or would my husband need to be the registered owner and keeper? Apologies if this is a really silly question just the salesman in the garage said there was a way in which my husband could claim the VAT back but I cant see how?! More than likely just trying to get a sale but I thought I would check in case we are missing something!Many thanks in advance!Elizabeth

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question.

Your husband is VAT registered and he would be able to claim VAT on the van provided he uses it for his business. The van would have to be registered in his name. If business use was 50% then VAT claimed would also be 50% of the total VAT on the van.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anyway to do this if my step son is the owner, he is an amplifier can it be fine through employee benefits etc? Many thanks!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Employee not amplifier!

Thank you for your reply.

In the scenario where your step son is an employee, the vehicle is provided for by the employer for business and private use. Benefits in kind would apply where the vehicle was made available for both business and private use. The vehicle would still have to be registered in the name of the employer (in this case your husband).

If your step son was to purchase it in his own name he would not be entitled to claim VAT on it.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you