How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5152
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Question about CGT.... In tax year 17/18 I have transferred

This answer was rated:

Question about CGT....
In tax year 17/18 I have transferred ownership of a house to a friend, creating a taxable gain of ££142k. This will be taxed at 28% I believe i.e tax of £40k.
During this year I have also sold equities at a loss of £68k.
What will be my CGT bill for 17/18 ?
What loss on sale of equities would I need to have a nil CGT bill for 17/18?
I pay higher rate income tax.
Thanks for your reply, Nick .

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Thank you for your question..

You have a gain from sale of property and a loss from sale of sales in the current tax year. When you report a loss, the amount is deducted from the gains you made in the same tax year.

Your net gain would be (142,000-68,000) £74,000.

You claim gains annual amount of £11,300 against the above gain and the balance £62,700 would be taxed at 28% (being the rate applicable to sale of residential properties). CGT payable £17,556.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, thanks for that, much as I had anticipated!!
Just to confirm, if I incur a further £63k of losses on sale of equities there should be no CGT payable for 17/18?
Not that I want any losses!!
Regards, Nick.

Nick, thank you for your reply.

You can offset all losses against all gains in the same year to mitigate CGT payable.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service/accept the service I have provided before you leave the site, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.