How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5318
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I live in Belgium and I got a job offer at a British telco,

This answer was rated:

I live in Belgium and I got a job offer at a British telco, that allows me to work 50..75% from home (Belgium) nevertheless need a British residence permit with SI number. I am responsible for travel and lodging.
- can I keep my Belgian residence as well? (I do own a house here, but I'm no Belgian citizen)
- are there any tax regimes that allows me to benefit in any way from the fact that I will be less than 50% on UK soil?
- can I have income that remains taxed in Belgium (I will have occasional income less than 5k/year from other activities)?
- how does medical insurance work? I guess I will be mostly ill when I'm in Belgium.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You can keep your residence in Belgium.

If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year then you will be liable to UK taxation on your worldwide income. You may well be liable to UK tax if under 183 days in residence.

Please expand upon what you mean by a 'SI' number. Also, advise your nationality.

In any event, under the Double Taxation Convention between the UK and Belgium, any tax paid in one country is allowed as a tax credit against a liability in the other.

EU countries have reciprocal Health Service arrangements for residents.

This is the current situation, but as you are probably aware the UK is leaving the EU and what will happen post-Britexit is still clouded in mystery.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I meant NI - National Insurance number.
Ok, so I guess the main question is whether there are some tax codes (tax regimes) that are more advantageous than the default full time resident one?
For example, in Belgium I was taxed as a non-resident even though I was full time here, because the company brought be in from Romania (my current nationality) for doing Reaseach-type work, so for days spent abroad I could claim some tax back.

Romania is part of the EU so you can work and live anywhere in the EU without let or hindrance. UK might be a more beneficial tax regime as Belgium has notoriously heavy personal taxation.

To obtain a NI Number you must apply to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) who will arrange an interview and issue one. As a citizen of an EU member state, you are entitled to reciprocal Health Service Benefits. You should obtain an European Health Insurance Card (formally the E111).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, so that sounds good. Please comment on the tax-regime (tax code) question, which is my main concern.
My wife is employed, and she has professional income in Belgium. Is that taken into account for my UK taxation?

No, spouses are separate persons for UK taxation purposes. Your wife's earnings have nothing to do with your tax position.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your answers! Best regards, Zoltan

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Thank you for your support Zoltan.