bigduckontax, Accountant

Qualifying for full "single tier" state pension. Client born

Qualifying for full "single tier" state pension.Client born in 1967
Currently has 33 qualifying years
Has been contracted out
Client is now self employed, so voluntary class 2 is an option
HMRC NI helpline tells him he needs another 7 yearsBut they also mentioned "class 3 contribution being £741 if not working for a full state pension" which confuses meI need to advise this client correctly, so that they qualify for the full state pension.If they have 33 years and HMRC tell them they need 7 more, (40 instead of 35) is this because of contracting out?If they make voluntary class 2 contributions for the next 7 years will this be enough?Or do they need to make class 3 contributions?More information available if required...Thanks in advance

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The qualification period for a full basic State Pension (SP) is 30 years. HMRC appear to be quoting balderdash and piffle. However, HMRC are not the lead Department for pension entitlement. You can find the basic rules here.

If your client has inadequate contribution levels the DWP will have advised and suggested a voluntary contribution to keep their card stamped to use an old expression.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Post to clear my question list.

Thank you for your support.