bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have an Irish passport, living outside UK for many years

Customer Question

hello, I have an Irish passport, living outside UK for many years and will return receiving an overseas pension. I am I non-dom and not have to pay tax for 6 years?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Am I classed as UK resident having a Irish passport?
my father was New Zealander
I was born in New Zealand
An I classed as a non-dom?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.am I a UK resident with an Irish PP?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Non-doms only pay UK Income Tax (IT) on their UK income. However, if they spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year, they are liable to UK IT on their worldwide income. As you reside outside the UK the rule will not apply, but you cannot just swan around the world and not pay tax in any country. Pensions are invariably taxed in the country of origin and in your case that is where IT will be due.

You now say that you will live in the UK so UK IT will apply from the moment you arrive. If the income exceeds the Personal Allowance (PA) level, currently 11.5K, then you will be liable for IT. You will have to self-assess annually unless HMRC tells you not to bother in future.

I would like to speak with you, but I am responding from a location 7 hours ahead of GMT making telephonic communication both impractical and expensive.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.