How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14350
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I work on a self employed basis for myself and also do

This answer was rated:

I work on a self employed basis for myself and also do regular work as an administrator for a charity. I have for the past two years filed monthly invoices to them with no problem but now we have a new Treasurer who is asking me to include my UTR on future invoices. Should I agree or just tell him that it is sensitive and private information between me and HMRC The firm is Not involved in the construction industry.
Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Not at the mo.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


I think that the Treasurer is concerned whether you should be self employed and if you undertake administrative work then I feel you should be employed for this specific work load.

But no you are not duty or legally bound to include your UTR on any invoices the only infromation they must contain as detailed by HMRC are

Invoices - what they must include

You must clearly display the word ‘invoice’ on the document. You must include:

  • a unique identification number
  • your company name, address and contact information
  • the company name and address of the customer you’re invoicing
  • a clear description of what you’re charging for
  • the date the goods or service were provided (supply date)
  • the date of the invoice
  • the amount(s) being charged
  • VAT amount if applicable
  • the total amount owed

Sole trader invoices

If you’re a sole trader, the invoice must also include:

  • your name and any business name being used
  • an address where any legal documents can be delivered to you if you are using a business name

Limited company invoices

If your company is a limited company, you must include the full company name as it appears on the certificate of incorporation.

If you decide to put names of your directors on your invoices, you must include the names of all directors.

VAT invoices

You must use VAT invoices if you and your customer are VAT registered.

These include more information than non-VAT invoices.

Let me know if I can assist further



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you