How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14346
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My last day of work was 31.3.2017. At the end of April 2017

This answer was rated:

Hi, My last day of work was 31.3.2017. At the end of April 2017 I was paid. Am I able to claim the tax back on that payment or offset it against a pension?

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you email me or do I view on line?


AS you last day was 31/03/2017 and the tax year ended on 05/04/2017 then you cannot have any of those payments used in 2017/2018 tax year. However you advise you were paid end of April 2017 - were you paid a lump sum on which you suffered higher rate tax, will you continue to be liable to higher rate tax until 05/04/2018?

Because that would be the only occasion where making a pension contribution would ever result in a tax refund (when referring to pension contributions) or with just a basic tax refund the, if you had no further income at all after that last payment at the end of April 2017 so have unused personal tax allowances to create a tax refund

So please advise further



HI you view online and you can see above I replied, but it takes time to type a reply, hence the delay



Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That was the only payment I got this year and the whole sum was taxed at the higher rate.


Then its likely there will not be higher rates due overall when looked as total income for the year which means two things

1) A refund will be due on unused personal tax allowances and

2) Any additional tax taken for higher rates also will be due back as a refund

If the payment in total for the year is more than £45000 then yes it may be that a pension contribution could refund a further amount of tax back, but you need to establish what the maximum you can pay as an additional contribution for the year along with any unused relief for the last 3 years to then determine how much of it you actually wish to tie up in your pension and note that only amount in in excess of £45000 (to use any higher rates) will serve to lessen that tax position

So discuss this with your pension provider an if you need any furtehr assistance with the tax due back after that pension contribution then do let me know

But in the meantime of you want me to do a basic calculation on what refund is due NOW with the two items I advised then please advsie

1) How much the payment was

2) How much tax was paid

3) Whether you had any company benefits such as car of medical benefit



Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was paid £33k and paid £13k tax.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there were no other benefits.


Then the position is this

Income £33000

Less Personal allowances £11500 leaves £21500 liable to 20% tax = £4300 tax due less paid £13,000 = £8700 refund

And after that has been processed then you will NOT be a higher rate taxpayer so there is nothing to be gained by putting any money into your pension

let me know if I Can assist further, or, if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I provided



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you