How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4779
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I had my house renovated, it was a building with change of

Customer Question

I had my house renovated, it was a building with change of use certificate so most of the work was at lower rate VAT. Certified and agreed from planning permission. I had problems during the construction with incorrect interim bills and mistakes on the VAT calculations. I am now due to pay the retention (2.5%) and from what I understood the Vat rate for the retention should be at the same rate as the work itself, however the building company has decided that because it is a retention it should be at usual Vat rate rather than the lower rate. Where in the legislation can I find this ?
Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: They are not great builders !!!
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You can find all about this in VAT Notice 708. Here it is:

In my opinion, the retention rate of VAT should follow the principal.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.