How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5306
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Assistant: How can we be of help? i would like to go back 3

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: Hi i would like to go back 3 years and top up unused pension contribution allowances, how do I reflect this in my tax return
Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what would you like to know - can you please be more specifc
Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no.... not really - I am employed, I have rental income from a property, very simple. I am able to do my own Self assessment just need to know about how the pension top up in terms of reflecting it in my tax return
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello. I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You can go back three years to mop up unused contribution levels. Currently, the limit is 40K and that includes any contributions made by an employer. The limit was 50K between 6 April 11 and 5 April 14. Special rules applied in 15/16 viz:

6 April 2015 to 8 July 2015 (the ‘pre-alignment tax year’) - £80,000

9 July 2015 to 5 April 2016 (the ‘post-alignment tax year’) - £0

I would like to talk to you, but I am responding to your question from a time zone 7 hours ahead of GMT thus making telephonic communication both impractical and expensive.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Yie merely put the pension contribution on the SA100. I would be inclined to explain your contributions in box 19 of that form.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know all of the above, I am looking for practical advice simply, do I need to open up each tax year submission and re-submit? If so, how do I do this, online portal does not allow this to happen
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
or can I just as I just put it in 2017/18 - and as you say explain what I have done in the free text form section at the end? - if that is the case, then it is dead easy, then I am sure the 40% tax rebate will just come out in the wash?

Thank you for your support.

No, you do not need to open up past years' returns. That is why you explain in box 19 of the SA100.

Yes, but don't forget that when making pension contributions these are made net of basic rate tax and the insurance company collects the other 20% from HMRC.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you! This makes life alot easier, and very simple to doThank youAnuj

Delighted to have been of assistance, Anuj.