bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am returning to the UK after spending 30 years overseas

I am returning to the UK after spending 30 years overseas and i want to get some advice on any tax issues

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

When you left the UK 30 years ago did you complete a Form P85 and send it to the inland Revenue as it was then?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I dont think i did. But i have a few other details1. I have lived permanently overseas and only very rarely came back to the uk for a week visit every few years
2. All income was earned overseas ie none UK sourced
3. I had no UK income whilst overseas and no UK property at all
4. I paid overseas tax and lived in various countriesJonathan

Right Jonathan, belt and braces, send in a P85, fortunately there is no time limit as it its submission. It is available on the web and can be filed on line. On return to the UK just advice HMRC by letter. On receipt that Department will classify you as resident for the tax year following your return date and, furthermore, split the returning year into two portions, one non resident, the other resident. Make sure that any terminal bonuses etc are paid to you before you return to these shores. Thus any tax thereon, if any, will only be for the country in which you are residing.

Any new emoloyer will kick off UK PAYE again through the P46 process.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** concerned that i was facing some tax problems but it sounds like it should be ok? I hope that they do not want details about income for the past 30 years as after moving many times i dont have this information - do you think this is ok?The new employer is also asking me for my national insurance number but i cannot remember what it was so long ago - is this part of the process you have described?Thank you SO much

DWP may be able to help you with your NI number. I have the original allocation card from 1959!

They will not want details especially if you submit a P85.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the just Answer site.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your support.