Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

What level of stamp duty is charged on purchasing a

Sam,What level of stamp duty is charged on purchasing a residential property if I own other buy to let properties but do not own my own residential property? Purchase price £295K.Thank you.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Thanks for asking for me and your patience

I am am afraid you will be liable to the higher additional rate (extra 3%) as this purcahse is NOT replacing a main residence but you own more than one property at the end of the transaction so a total of 8% = £23.600

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Sam, so if I am renting where I live and do not own a 'residential' property (the purchase would be for me to have my own residential property) it would still be 8%?

HI

Yes as advised above as you are not replacing a main residence but have more than two properties

So the additional charge arises

I know it seems unfair but you are not a first time buyer with no other property - you just have chosen to rent them out to derive an income - but if when you sell this new purcahse (which will become your main residence) and buy a furtehr main residence then you will just be subject to normal stamp duty

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks very much for clarifying. If I sell my main residence within 3 years, can I claim a refund on the 3%?If so, do I have to purchase another main residence in order to claim this? So if I sell within 3 years and go and rent instead of buy, can I still claim the 3% refund?Thank you.

No as you have no main residence to be sold

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Sam

I am sorry the news is not better, if I could trouble you to rate the level of service I have provided (rather than it not being the answer you wanted it to be) it would be much appreciated

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Sam,
Are you able to answer a PAYE question please if I send you a new question now? I tried sending it to you last week but I'm not sure if you were able to see it but it seems to be unallocated. Shall I send it again to you now?

No question has been received