How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a company car and a fuel card, I work in construction

This answer was rated:

I have a company car and a fuel card, I work in construction so move site every 12 to 18 month usually, I am getting absolutely hammered by the BIK for the fuel card but I have been on hmrc website and if I am interpreting the rules correctly my fuel BIK would be reduced to nil if I paid my employer for the private fuel I used because the fuel my company supply me with to travel to and from work is a business expense because I am travelling to and from a temporary place of work because I am never on the one site for over 24 month.
Is my interpretation correct?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You have it to a 'T,' to use an old expression! Providing the place of temporary duty does not exceed 24 months then your travelling expenses are reimbursed by your employer tax free.

I do hope that you have found my repmy of assistance.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just to be clear on this even though they pay my fuel up front with a fuel card I am entitled to this as a business expense as long as I record my private miles and repay my employer? How much do I pay them per mile?

Correct; the HMRC rate is 45p per mile and is calculated to recover both capital and running costs. However it is a matter for negotiation between the pair of you.

Thank you for your support.