How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6351
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I would like to have information about the marriage

This answer was rated:

Hi, I would like to have information about the marriage allowance.First of all is married couple's allowance the same as marriage allowance?I recently get married and I would like to have more information in regard.I read that this transferable allowance is available to married couples and civil partners who are not in receipt of married couple’s allowance. A spouse or civil partner who is not liable to income tax; or not liable at the higher or additional rates, can transfer this amount of their unused personal allowance to their spouse or civil partner. The recipient must not be liable to income tax at the higher or additional rates.How can I apply for this allowance or I can I get it?Thanks in advance

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Spouses a separate persons for UK Income Tax (IT) purposes. Each may transfer up to 10% of their Personal Allowance to their each other. This is called the marriage allowance and you can read all about it and how to apply here:

The person making the surrender must make the application. My wife does this for me and it works! Just to confuse the issue marriied couples allowance is the same thing!

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.