Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I recently set up PAYE with a payroll service but I'm not

Customer Question

I recently set up PAYE with a payroll service but I'm not sure if the calculations are correct.I have a Ltd Company and am a sole Director with no other employees. I have not taken any salary previously for the tax year 17/18 but I have just taken one payment in March as one payment of £4,500 gross.The march payslip shows NI of £276.24 but the amount I have been told I need to pay to HMRC for the quarterly NI is £593.92.The Gross NI shows as £593.92
The Employer NI to pay shows as £317.68
The Total amount due shows as £593.92Are these calculations correct based on a salary in March of £4,500?Please advise if the individual breakdowns are correct and if the amount I need to pay to HMRC of £593.92 is correct or if I need to question this with the payroll provider.Thank you.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

I am providing you with a link that covers NI contributions for directors - read page 12

Being the only employee in the company, the employer would not be entitled to any allowance against NI contibutions.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/593237/CA44_2017.pdf

You should go back to payroll provider and ask to review the calculations.

I hope this is helpful

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** saying that the calculations provided are under or over please? Are you able to advise the correct calculations please?

Thank you for your reply.

I am unable to confirm the figures as I don't have payroll software on my laptop.

You would certainly be paying both employee and employer NI contributions.

I suggest you contact employer helpline

Telephone: 0300(###) ###-####/p>