How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7934
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

You say "I would submit that such activities are most

Customer Question

You say "I would submit that such activities are most improper and would probably require a licence which it almost certainly does not possess" In which way is it improper assuming the necessary licences are in place?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 10 months ago.

Well if the company is licenced that is quite a dirrerent matter.

You should have followed up on the original question which will make it easier for me to respond.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, I thought I had responded to you. Is the tax position that the shareholder gets tax free profit and the company gets no deduction? In what way is that improper?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 10 months ago.

It is the gambling which was improper unless the company had the necessary licences when the whole position changes. In that case the shareholders activities would be gambling and profits and losses outside the scope of UK taxation. As far as the company is concerned the profits and losses would be part of its trading activity and also may be liable to General Betting Duty.