bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have bought a secondhand boat in Greece (from a Canadian

Customer Question

I have bought a secondhand boat in Greece (from a Canadian National) that is not "VAT paid". The boat is now registered in the UK on the SSR. How do I get it "VAT paid" ? Who do I contact?
James
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be bale to help you with your question.

Was this purchase through private of commercial channels? In what year was the boat built?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Boat built in 2004 and delivered new to a Greek owner. He sold it in 2013 to the Canadian owner. We bought it in 2015 from the Canadian and paid in sterling with English Contract and Bill of Sale.

As far as I can ascertain goods exported from Canada are tax free anyway so there would be no VAT to pay.

On importation to the UK Customs may impose Import Duty and VAT. In that event their invoice should cover your position.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks but that is not the question. Leisure boats have a status of either "VAT paid" or "not VAT paid". I want to know how to get my boat VAT paid so I have official paperwork to be able to travel between countries. The boat has never moved out of Corfu (i.e. Greek Territorial Waters)

I am aware of that. You must go back to the seller for confirmation of the VAT status of your purchase.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know the answer to that already. The boat was sold to me clearly stated as "VAT not paid"

So what is your problem? VAT does not usually apply to private sales even of boats.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The problem is not VAT on the sale/purchase. The issue is how to change the status of the boat to "VAT paid status" which will involve paying VAT to some authority and getting a certificate confirming the boat is now VAT paid.

I sm out of mt depth and must opt out. Maybe one of my colleagues will be able to help you.

Post to clear my question list only.