Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I need help with completing my tax return in relation to a

Customer Question

Hi. I need help with completing my tax return in relation to a compensation payment for loss of office (settlement agreement). The company did not pay the first £30,000 tax free but instead instructed me to do so as part of the next tax return. I'm trying to complete the section relating to lump sum/ compensation payments but can't seem to make it clear I am seeking tax relief post the payment being made. Can you help?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

What form and what section are you trying to complete?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello. Trying to complete section 4 - other UK income. I know the total compensation payment, and also the net payment I received but don't know where or how to signal I am seeking post payment tax relief of £30,000 which should have been paid tax free by my previous employer.

What is Section 4, no such nomenclature is used on the SA102?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This is the section: This section will help you work out what figures to put in boxes 3 to 10 of the ‘Employment lump sums, compensation and deductions, certain post-employment income’ section on page Ai 2 of the Additional information pages, if you’ve received certain large payments (usually in cash and excluding pensions) or benefits from your employer or former employer.

What form are you actually trying to complete?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm completing a standard 2017-18 self-assessment tax return not a separate form. As part of the tax return, there is a section where you indicate you have additional UK income from your employer that is separate from the P45 or P60.

I have this form on screen and there is no such section on the SA100. What form number are you trying to complete?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/self-assessment-file/1718/ind/5239983210/return/otherIncome/emplyomentLumpSums

I am sorry I cannot access that link without logging in

You may have to add a note to the effect that this was a redundancy payment and incorrectly taxed.