How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14548
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I live in Australia but receive a rental income from UK

This answer was rated:

Hi,I live in Australia but receive a rental income from UK property which I declare the full amount on a uk self assessment tax return. I own the property jointly with my wife. Is it an issue that my wife does not also complete a uk tax return? I only receive $9000 which is under the threshold to be liable for tax and thid is our only UK income.Regards,Paul Wilkinson

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Hi Paul

Yes this is an issue, as you should both be declaring half the rental income and associated expenses to HMRC, as this also effects capital gains when the property is sold in the future, so best rectifying this now



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK thanks. We will notify the tax office for further action