Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I live in Australia but receive a rental income from UK

Hi,I live in Australia but receive a rental income from UK property which I declare the full amount on a uk self assessment tax return. I own the property jointly with my wife. Is it an issue that my wife does not also complete a uk tax return? I only receive $9000 which is under the threshold to be liable for tax and thid is our only UK income.Regards,Paul Wilkinson

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Hi Paul

Yes this is an issue, as you should both be declaring half the rental income and associated expenses to HMRC, as this also effects capital gains when the property is sold in the future, so best rectifying this now

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thanks. We will notify the tax office for further action