How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6000
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Tax accountant completed paperwork every year. Now been sent

This answer was rated:

Tax accountant completed paperwork every year. Now been sent a massive bill from HMRC due to his errors. What can I do?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help yoou with your question.

Firstly appeal against HMRC's assessment which you do simply by writing to that Department pointing out the errors.

Do not pay your accountant's bill and proceed against him the the County or Sheriff Court for the losses sustained by his incompetence. Also report his or her antics to their professional body if they have one.

I do hope that I have shown you a way forward in this matter.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.I am being also being fined for late payment but I was unaware of any problems with my tax until a month ago. HMRC are going back 6 years and I am looking at a huge bill.Thought that tax accountant had dealt with my taxes correctly.HMRC have said they are investigating tax accountant. What are the chances of me winning an appeal?

Possible, but unlikely.

Add these fines and bills to your claim against your accountant.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.