bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Tax accountant completed paperwork every year. Now been sent

Tax accountant completed paperwork every year. Now been sent a massive bill from HMRC due to his errors. What can I do?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help yoou with your question.

Firstly appeal against HMRC's assessment which you do simply by writing to that Department pointing out the errors.

Do not pay your accountant's bill and proceed against him the the County or Sheriff Court for the losses sustained by his incompetence. Also report his or her antics to their professional body if they have one.

I do hope that I have shown you a way forward in this matter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.I am being also being fined for late payment but I was unaware of any problems with my tax until a month ago. HMRC are going back 6 years and I am looking at a huge bill.Thought that tax accountant had dealt with my taxes correctly.HMRC have said they are investigating tax accountant. What are the chances of me winning an appeal?

Possible, but unlikely.

Add these fines and bills to your claim against your accountant.

Thank you for your support.