How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5999
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have a problem with my accountant which I used when I set

This answer was rated:

Good morning.I have a problem with my accountant which I used when I set up my limited company. I stopped using my limited company last year when the new law came into effect due to the fact that we were told we cannot use it anymore as agency nurses. I paid my accountant up to the end of the end of 2017 financial year and went on to join his umbrella company up to December last year. Now, I received a letter from HMRC asking me to file in my self assessment form. I have asked my accountant to provide me this and to send me a copy of my accounts for 2016- 2017. At first he said yes he will send me a copy but like before he keeps on delaying it which cost me some money in the past with all the documents always late being filed. I am so fed up with his delaying tactics this is the reason why I am now looking for another accountant. What can I do to make my old accountant to send me a copy of the documents that I really need specially my self-assessment because I really need to file it soon.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Try reporting his antics to his professional body if they have one. That would be my first port of call. I would also suggest that you have nothing to do with his umbrella company.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is what I am planning to do. I am not sure though which professional body I have to approach and how to find out. I have left his umbrella company last December when I suspected that he was paying me less than what I am supposed to be paid. I am even considering to ask advice from a solicitor if I can put him to court. Can you please advice me which professional body to approach?

Well one would hope that he were a Chartered Accountant, a Chartered Certified Accountant, a Chartered Management Accountant or a CIPFA member. He might be an accounting technician, an AAT. Unfortunately there is not statutory definition of an accountant, anyone can set up as one. Call yourself a solicitor when you are not and you commit a criminal offence.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He attaches this to his name.....MBA. BBS (Hons). IMM(SA). CIM(UK)

Master of Business Administration, Bachelor of Business Studies, a South African Business school, Chartered Institute of Marketing. The holder would appear to be that curse of the accounting profession, an unqualified accountant who may practice with impunity and about whom little can be done. I knew someone with a MBA as his sole qualification who got a job with Smith Klein Beecham only they rumbled him and when he arrived he was refused admission and told that his appointment had been cancelled. Couldn't have happened to a more obnoxious individual.

I fear that you are on a hiding to nothing reporting his antics.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is the best thing I can do with him then please? He has a company though that deals with accounting.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
next time I need an accountant what am I suppose to look for so that I will not have any more problems?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
His company deals with the following Accounting, Payroll, Self-Assessment, Limited Company Formations, New Business Start-ups, Mortgages, Loans, Investments, Insurance, Wealth Management, Property Management, Property Sourcing, Landlord Services, Healthcare Services.Can I complain to Trading Standards about him?

You could try complaining to your local trading standards about him or his company. By using a corporate body it is difficult to transfer liability to an individual. Your best way when looking for an accountant is to ask around. Mark you at one time companies with which I was associated had a competent accountant until he went to prison being involved in dubious activity!

If you think your tax and national insurance has been wrongly computed you couls complain to HMRC and if moneys have gone astray the it is a matter for the police.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you recommend an accountant for me?I will be asking you more questions from you but for now I have to go pick up my son from school. Thank you very much for your time and for the answers you have given me.Enjoy the rest of the day and take care.

Just Answer protocol precludes me from making recommendations save in very general terms.

Thank you for your excellent support.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am very pleased to say that my old accountant has sent me a copy of my accounts. I just receive it this morning. My only problem now is that he did not include my self assessment which is the one I need to file soon. What can I do? I am planning to ask him to send it again to me but if he does not what can I do?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One more thing, who can I ask about renting a house?

You can always ask HMRC for a new form explaining the position.

I think that the new house rental should be the subject of a new question. Ask forCustomerand i should pick it up.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok thanks a lot!

Please to have been able to help.