bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Tax resident (non-domiciled) and have a question on stamp

Hi - I am UK tax resident (non-domiciled) and have a question on stamp duty for house purchases. I am a first time buyer at the moment and will use the stamp duty exemption up to the £300k currently in place. If I subsequently move abroad in 3 years time or further in the future and rent the house out in the UK will I become liable for any stamp duty on the original purchase?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your quastion.

You may fall foul of the following rule in respect this exemption [source: Gov UK Web Site]:

'The relief applies from 22 November 2017 to purchases of residential property for £500,000 or less, provided the purchaser intends to occupy the property as their only or main residence.'

As you will indeed be occupying in accordance with the rule then this exception should not apply to you.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for the response - I will be occupying the property here in the UK for at least a couple of years. A follow on question if you don't mind. If I purchase a second property for rent outside the UK (Ireland) do the UK tax authorities revoke the stamp duty exemption my house in the UK? I know with second properties in the UK the buyer must pay the full stamp duty rate wondering about rules on buying a second property abroad (for let).

No, Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) does not extend outside the UK. A nasty little tax it may be, but not that nasty!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lol - it is indeed. Thanks - rated excellent. Have a good day!

Delighted to have been of assistance.