How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5087
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have just built a DIY new build for my main residence but

This answer was rated:

I have just built a DIY new build for my main residence but I haven’t yet managed to sell my present house will I have to pay capital gains on the new build if I can’t sell my old property I will need to sell one of them

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

There may be a liability to Capital Gains Tax on the gain made, but remember that for the last 18 months of ownership Private Residence Relief (PRR) is extended and is at 100%. Furthermore you have an Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.7K to offset any gain.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.

With any luck your gain will be below limits or even covered by the 18 month rule.