bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have just built a DIY new build for my main residence but

I have just built a DIY new build for my main residence but I haven’t yet managed to sell my present house will I have to pay capital gains on the new build if I can’t sell my old property I will need to sell one of them

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

There may be a liability to Capital Gains Tax on the gain made, but remember that for the last 18 months of ownership Private Residence Relief (PRR) is extended and is at 100%. Furthermore you have an Annual Exempt Amount (AEA) of 11.7K to offset any gain.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Thank you for your support.

With any luck your gain will be below limits or even covered by the 18 month rule.