Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

If I buy and sell a company based in the UK, I am a non

If I buy and sell a company based in the UK, I am a non resident and that company has a property asset,
1.Does capital gains apply to selling the company? Is this allowed?
2. If not how do I structure this tax efficiently, do I buy in an offshore company or a UK company...

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Yes capital gains will arise on the sale as you are selling a UK company so the tax arises in the UK. But wherever you structure it you will have a tax position to answer in the country in which the company is incorporated, so I am not quote sure what you will achieve as there is no avoiding tax I am afraid

I cannot advsie which is better as we have no client/accountant privilege and Just Answer will not allow me to deal with your directly but of course you need to find a country will a lower tax threshold, but then you also need to check whether you then incur a tax consideration in your country of residence , s one would assume you will remit this money back to where you live. And then the tax you suffer abroad can be used to offset your own country tax position

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank you, I was looking for the best way to structure... so if I pay capital gains then I can take the profits and pay tax in my own tax jurisdiction

Thanks for your response

Yes and then also ask for the capital gains tax suffered to be offset against your own country tax bill for the sale of the company

Obviously any income or dividends you draw from the company will also have this double taxation treaty position considered as well