bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I'm a British citizen and freelancer who works remotely and

I'm a British citizen and freelancer who works remotely and I regularly physically base myself in EU countries. Could someone tell me whether paying for a co-working space in a non-UK country is eligible as an HRMC tax expense? Co-working spaces are a remote office environments where freelancers pay fees up to £200 a month to work and share resources. Also if you're able to answer this as well, regarding my smartphone I use it constantly for work as a freelancer (Gmail, skype, WhatsApp, etc) but rarely make or receive any calls. How is it possible to deign what is business use when my usage/costs are now predominately derived by paying for data?

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

To which country do you submit tax returns?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
United Kingdom

All these expenses are perfectly legitimate and can be used to offset your earned income.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Before I finish and if you don't mind, could you tell me which area of UK legislation states that its acceptable to declare a co-working space bill when based in EU countries or overseas? I obviously keep invoices and receipts as proof of purchase.

It would be working space rental and a perfectly normal business expense. Keep invoices etc, always be ready to prove your case!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you :)

Delighted to have been of assistance. All these expenses are bog standard and no one would bat an eyelid at their inclusion in your tax return.

Thank you for your support.