bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have an opportunity to move to France for a year but I'm

I have an opportunity to move to France for a year but I'm getting very stressed about how this will affect my finances. I am taking retirement (I'm 60) from teaching for health reasons. I do some work online which brings a small income and how to continue this in France. I have Special Guardianship of my granddaughter (9) who is at a boarding school in the UK. Currently, I get child allowance and child tax credits. If I go to France for a year will these stop?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My work pension will not be enough to live on being only approx £6,800.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question. I cannot help you at all on French taxation; it is so complex and so constantly changing that the use of a local practitioner is essential. For example, I have an old work colleague who retired to France. They do not tax his military and civil service pensions, but they do his State Pension!

Child allowance is only allowable if the child lives with you. Up to 8 weeks absences are allowed so with half terms you might just get away with it. Again there is an 8 week limit for Child Tax Credits.

I do hope that you have found my reply of some assitance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, my granddaughter's permanent residence is with me so whilst living in the UK and she is at boarding school in the UK I get both allowances. My question was if I live in France for a year would I still be entitled to these as she is still on the UK and I intend to return. Difficult I realise which is why I'm finding it stressful.

As I told you you might be caught by the 8 week rule, but surely half terms will negate that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I'm in UK or France shouldn't matter.

Providing you do not breach the 8 week rule you should be OK.

Please be so kind as to rate me before ou leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.