How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6332
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have an opportunity to move to France for a year but I'm

This answer was rated:

I have an opportunity to move to France for a year but I'm getting very stressed about how this will affect my finances. I am taking retirement (I'm 60) from teaching for health reasons. I do some work online which brings a small income and how to continue this in France. I have Special Guardianship of my granddaughter (9) who is at a boarding school in the UK. Currently, I get child allowance and child tax credits. If I go to France for a year will these stop?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My work pension will not be enough to live on being only approx £6,800.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question. I cannot help you at all on French taxation; it is so complex and so constantly changing that the use of a local practitioner is essential. For example, I have an old work colleague who retired to France. They do not tax his military and civil service pensions, but they do his State Pension!

Child allowance is only allowable if the child lives with you. Up to 8 weeks absences are allowed so with half terms you might just get away with it. Again there is an 8 week limit for Child Tax Credits.

I do hope that you have found my reply of some assitance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, my granddaughter's permanent residence is with me so whilst living in the UK and she is at boarding school in the UK I get both allowances. My question was if I live in France for a year would I still be entitled to these as she is still on the UK and I intend to return. Difficult I realise which is why I'm finding it stressful.
Many thanks

As I told you you might be caught by the 8 week rule, but surely half terms will negate that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I'm in UK or France shouldn't matter.

Providing you do not breach the 8 week rule you should be OK.

Please be so kind as to rate me before ou leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.