How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6307
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I own a 25% share in a property and until recently was

This answer was rated:

I own a 25% share in a property and until recently was living there and paying council tax. I have now moved away & renting, I am now selling my 25% share, will this be classed as my main residence or will I be liable for tax when it is sold? If I move back until it is sold and pay the council tax would this help?
Many thanks

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You are disposing of your sole or main domestic residence so Private Residence Relief (PRR) and this is granted automatically and relieves Capital Gains Tax (CGT) at 100%.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks for your quick reply.
Is that regardless of if I live there or not?

Yes the Inland Revenue, as it was, lost this battle big time in the 70s trying to interpret the legislation as 'sole and main' instead of 'sole or main.' They even got the Ministry of Defence to publish a Defence Council Instruction on the subject and I arrived in Nepal to find the Garrison in uproar. A one line letter put them back in their box and the Instruction was cancelled; egg on everyone's face!

HMRC will still try this one on if they think the taxpayer will just roll over and pay up, don't!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.