bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Consultant, and I normally travel around in the city and

Dear Sir/Madam, I am Psychological consultant, and I normally travel around in the city and outside of the city to see the patients, do you know the food & drinks I spent during the travel is allow to claim as expenses? I running as a limited company

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

HMRC's subsistence rates, which have been unchanged since 2009, are as follows:

Breakfast 5 pounds, 5 hour rate 5 pounds, 10 hour rate 10 pounds late evening meal 15 pounds.

Be sure to keep adequate records, receipts, bills etc to support the company's position. If the company pays over these rates then the excess will have to be reported to HMRC as a benefit in kind annually on a From P11d at the conclusion of each tax year..

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your reply, yes, I did check HMRC policy regards ***** ***** it is confusing me, because sometimes I did not overstay somewhere other city, just go to same city to visit the patient and bought some food & drinks on the way, so I am not sure these are eligible to claim?

Why not, in your situation the best guidance is in the 5 and 10 hour rates. Even the Civil Service operates on similar policies for such activities.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, so you mean as long as it is within the rate each time, should be ok, or the total amount for the year should be within that rate? eg. average visited 50 times a year, then can claim total £250.00 - £500.00 and it doesn't matter sometimes might over £10.00?

In theory yes, the limits should not be exceeded, but in practice no. However, I would caution you that I one had a tax inspector ask for the voucher for 13p, yes 13 pence, of expenses paid out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, no problem, thank you very much for your help, have a good afternoon :)

Delighted to have been able to help. On another tack I have had a tax inspector demanding immediate payment in cash for tax which was not even due; he did not get it!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.