How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14648
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a pensioner on state & private pensions - both taxed at

This answer was rated:

I am a pensioner on state & private pensions - both taxed at source. My son now works from home, where his firm wish to contribute to the household expenses at £200.00 per calendar month. Will this now mean, to the extent I accept, that I will have to declare this income and then pay tax upon it?

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


Thanks for your patience

No you do not have to declare it or pay tax on it

1) Its a payment to your son not you and

2) Your son does not pay any of the bills as I imagine most if not all are in your name and finally

3) even of you son passes some of this onto you OR gas some bills in his name any household keep we receive from household members are not a taxable consideration - its towards the running costs of the home/food etc

Let me know if I can assist further



Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much. It makes such a change to get a better answer than the one expected - Thanks again


You are very welcome - and if you have all that you need, it would be much appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you