Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am european union citizen living in the UK. I came to work

Customer Question

I am european union citizen living in the UK. I came to work here and I have lived here for 3 years. However, most of my life I have lived abroad. My own homes, bank accounts and family lives in Spain and they have never lived in the UK. If my father would give
me money as donation I guess I would not have to pay any money as I am resident not domiciled in the UK. Is this true?
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

No - you are right that you do not have to pay tax on this money given to you by your father - but that is because its not liable to tax - and nothing to do with residency or domicile

But the interest from the bank accounts or any money earned from your home in Spain might have to be considered

Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Did you require any further assistance?