bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I took £50,000 from our joint account to start up as a sole

Customer Question

I took £50,000 from our joint account to start up as a sole trader (purchased existing business). If I repay our joint account at the rate of £15,000 per year, is this tax deductable?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with youe question.

Bad news I regret, only the interest on that loan would be deductible, but in any event it would not be allowed as you are merely using your own money to set up as a sole trader. Now had you set up a limited company to trade and loaned it 50K then that would be an entirely different kettle of fish and any loan interest paid allowable against Corporation Tax (CT). However, that interest would be taxable against you under the Income Tax (IT) regime. Always remember Benjamin Franklin's quip that in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes!

I am so sorry to have to give such dismal news.