bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have just started a new job in the NHS as a doctor. My

Customer Question

Hi,I have just started a new job in the NHS as a doctor. My annual salary is £40,466 on this current rotation. I do not pay pension and my student loan is plan 1.I plan to take up locum shifts at £40 per hour. If I do 35 hours of locum work per month, what is my take home after tax?In addition, if I am paid the locum shifts in weekly payments as opposed to monthly, does this affect my tax?Many thanks,
Victoria
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 11 days ago.

Hello Victoria, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The 40% tax bracket kicks in at 34.5K. Now knock off your personal allowance (PA) of 11.85K leaves you with 6K of slack at the basic rate of tax [20%]. Your locum shifts will be taxed at that rate up to that level and 40% thereafter. However, you should watch like a hawk the tax code issued against the locum pay as there is always a possibility that you may be given a PA twice which will ramp up your liabilities at the end of the tax year something horrible!

I do hope that I have been able to give you some assistance.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello, thanks for your answer! I just wanted to know what my net would be after tax mainly.

I cannot tell you without quantitative data, only let you have a percentage guide.