How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6184
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm completing my personal tax return. I received a lump sum

Customer Question

Hi, I'm completing my personal tax return. I received a lump sum following the closing of my business last year having already paid all the relevant business taxes associated with the closure, do I need to put this on my return and pay additional tax on the sum?
Assistant: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 17/18
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Yes, you do, but the first 30K of such a payment is tax-free. You need to include this payment on your annual self-assessment tax return.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, The closure left the business with £4500 so no tax is due as it was under 30K? How do I put this on the return and not be liable for it to be taxed?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 6 months ago.

I would merely declare it as a note at Box 19 of the SA100.