How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16228
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

As a director of a private UK limited Company. Is there a

Customer Question

As a director of a private UK limited Company. Is there a withholding tax on the sale or disposal of shares held by a non UK entity?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.

Are you referring to shares in your company which are owned by a non-UK entity? Can you elaborate a little please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been made aware of a proposed sale of part of my company's share holding. The holder of the shares is a non Uk entity, as part of my fiduciary duties, I need to know if any withholding tax will be incurred?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 6 months ago.


I've dealt with non-UK shareholders selling shares in UK companies in the past and there has never been a withholding tax. The only such taxes I'm aware of relate to income payments as shown here. UK CGT is only normally paid by non-resident individuals or entities on UK residential property gains.

I hope this helps butr let me know if you have any further questions.