TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

As a director of a private UK limited Company. Is there a

Customer Question

As a director of a private UK limited Company. Is there a withholding tax on the sale or disposal of shares held by a non UK entity?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 months ago.

Are you referring to shares in your company which are owned by a non-UK entity? Can you elaborate a little please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been made aware of a proposed sale of part of my company's share holding. The holder of the shares is a non Uk entity, as part of my fiduciary duties, I need to know if any withholding tax will be incurred?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 months ago.

I've dealt with non-UK shareholders selling shares in UK companies in the past and there has never been a withholding tax. The only such taxes I'm aware of relate to income payments as shown here. UK CGT is only normally paid by non-resident individuals or entities on UK residential property gains.

I hope this helps butr let me know if you have any further questions.