TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am in a situation where I haven’t paid tax for years and

Customer Question

I am in a situation where I haven’t paid tax for years and want to amend this and own up, what advice would you give me in doing this with the HMRC
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

First , I strongly advise you seek the assistance of a tax professional local to you in the UK. There is much to contend with and you are better off having a professional complete and deal with this for you.

You may normally only submit three years worth of late tax returns. For example, in the tax year 2017-18 (ie from 6 April 2017 to 5 April 2018) you may submit returns for 2016/17, and three late returns – 2013/14, 2014/15 and 2015/16.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How many years would they be able to go back if I go to them opposed to them coming to me
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

The normal time limit for making assessments is four years following the end of the tax year. This is termed a 'discovery' assessment.

The time limit for making an assessment on a person in a case involving a loss of income tax brought about 'carelessly' by that person is six years following the end of the tax year.

The time limit for making an assessment on a person in a case involving a loss of income tax brought about deliberately by that person is 20 years following the end of the tax year.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 months ago.

I hope this is useful

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated