TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am the director of a small limited company in the UK and

Hi, I am the director of a small limited company in the UK and will be soon selling an app to many overseas locations. As part of the set up with Apple to allow me to sell the app through their AppStore I am required to complete a W-8BEN-E form. Are you able to advise on how to complete this?
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I asked my current accountants for advice but they said they could not help
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This form is an USA IRS form, are you sure that its completion is relevant to a company trading from an UK base?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Apple require my company to complete the form in order for me to be able to sell apps through their Appstore platform
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not want to pay £43
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just need to know how to complete these two sections of the form:
art III: Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits (If Applicable). (For chapter 3 purposes only)14. I certify that:
(check all that apply)
a. The beneficial owner is a resident of United Kingdom within the meaning of the income tax treaty between United States and that country.
b. The beneficial owner derives the item (or items) of income for which the treaty benefits are claimed, and, if applicable, meets the requirements of the treaty provision dealing with limitation on benefits. The following are types of limitation on benefits provisions that may be included in an applicable tax treaty (check only one; see instructions):
Government
Tax exempt pension trust or pension fund
Other tax exempt organization
Publicly traded corporation
Subsidiary of a publicly traded corporation
Company that meets the ownership and base erosion test
Company that meets the derivative benefits test
Company with an item of income that meets active trade or business test
Favorable discretionary determination by the U.S. competent authority received
Other (specify Article and paragraph):
c. The beneficial owner is claiming treaty benefits for dividends received from a foreign corporation or interest from a U.S. trade or business of a foreign corporation and meets qualified resident status (see instructions).
15. Special rates and Conditions:
(if applicable - see instructions)
The beneficial owner is claiming the provisions of Article and paragraph of the treaty identified on line 14a above to claim a % rate of withholding on (specify type of income):
Income from the sale of applications.
Other (please specify)

I am sorry I am unwell and must opt out.

I can advise that you are required to complete the W8 BEN E.

In Part III you will need to enter UK as your country and tick the 14a box.

For 15 it needs the treaty article that says 0% tax rate for this. ARTICLE 7 in the treaty covers Business Profits.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Perfect, thank you

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited

TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience: International tax