How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6650
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am thinking of selling my 2 bed end terrace property,

This answer was rated:

Hello....I am thinking of selling my 2 bed end terrace property, there is no mortgage on it but I have not lived in it for the past 3.5yrs....I moved in with my partner and her property is rented...the house is lived in though by my stepson. He does not pay rent, I pay all the bills as they are in my name, except the Council Tax which has him as the sole resident, but he pays me at month end whatever the outgoings are. The house is fully insured for buildings and contents and also for business in so far as my stepson has his own web design business and works at stock is kept at the property and no clients come to the house. I am wanting to know what, if any, tax implications I would be liable for should I sell the property via an estate agent or a "" type buyer.....thank you....Ian
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No steps, just an enquiry as to what tax implications I would be liable for as I have not lived in property for 3.5yrs...
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No...
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No...

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to hlep you with your question.

As you are selling your sole or main domestic residence Private Residence Relief (PRR) applies which offsets Capital Gains Tax (CGT) at 100%. Not many people realise when they sell their home that a CGT liability arises as PRR is given automatically. Whether you live in it or not is irrelevant in your current circumstances. You might get a better price through an estate agent than the roulte you suggeated if you don't mind people traipsing through your house making adverse comments!

I do hope that I have given you some food for thought.

Customer: replied 6 months ago. just to make it absolutely clear for myself....if I sell through whichever route, estate agent or "webuyanyhouse" then I will receive the whole of the agreed price (cannot imagine it is worth more than £50k) and will not have to pay any form of tax due to the PRR & CGT cancelling each other out, irrespective of me not living there...??......Ian

Correct, from the data so far imparted to me, Ian.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.