Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a UK citizen working for a UK company and receiving a

I am a UK citizen working for a UK company and receiving a UK income for this role. However, I work remotely from a non UK location, Serbia. I traveled to the UK less than 20 days last financial year. Should I be paying tax in the UK or Serbia?
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Yes
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Thanks for your question and patience

Can you advsie whether all 20 of these days in the UK were for work, meetings or training

Can you also advsie whether you still currently pay UK tax on your UK salary

I can then advsie further

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi Sam, only half of those days were for work purposes and yes, I am still paying U.K. tax at source

Then you have two choices

1) Ask for HMRC to tax you code NT (No Tax) and then you will have a small UK tax liability of the work days you spend in the UK and then pay the main tax in your home country of Serbia

2) Continue to pay UK tax fully then income and tax suffered have to be declared to Serbia, and they will take into account the UK tax suffered - so you only pay their highest rate of tax

As we have a double taxation tax treaty between the UK and Serbia you will only ever suffer the higest tax position in one of the countries

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thanks for your reply Sam. How do I ask HMRC to tax me code NT? Is this the same as filling in form P85? Do I need to fill in P85 or/aslo?

HI

Yes the P85 allows HMRC to establish your move abroad and the continuation of UK income - so thats the correct form - HMRC then review it and issue code NT to your employer who then can pay you free of UK tax from the start and free of UK National Insurance after 52 weeks

But tax paid from the date you left to the date that code NT commences will have to be claimed back by you from HMRC after the year end -

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok great. So, would I be right in saying that as I left November 2017, I could reclaim tax paid for the previous financial year?

HI

Yes from Nov 2017 to 05/04/2018 via a tax refund from HMRC as soonas you like (send them your P60 for 2017/2018) with the P85
Then from 06/04/2018 to the date code NT is applied you can claim after 05/04/2019 (with the P60 2019)

Then code NT will apply from the date HMRC process form P85 to the date this situation changes (either you return to the UK or the employment ceases)

Let me know if I can assist further, or if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
That's great Sam, all the help that I needed. Many thanks.

HI

You are very welcome