bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My question relates to domestic expenses incurred in a

Good evening. My question relates to domestic expenses incurred in a rented out property. Basically I am referring to the like for like expenses that one can claim on a residential property. It is not always clear which way to go. I have a property in Africa that is rented out. The income is declarable in the UK I needed to replace two items, namely a small garden shed that had been virtually eaten away by white ants and literally collapsed, and to replace a water softening unit that is not functioning properly. These are genuine replacements. Can I claim them in the tax year as expenses or must I treat them as capital expenses.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

My club in London needed a new roof and we consulted our auditor's firm whose tax department gave a pro bono opinion that as the club room had always had a roof it could be replaced from revenue expenditure. This was done and the taxman did not bat an eyelid. So you have your answer, treat the replacements as expenses in the accounting year of replacement.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you so much for coming back so fast. Excellent as ever. I will rate you now.

Thank you for your excellent support.

And your kind bonus.