How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5785
Experience:  FCCA - over 40 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I need to submit a return for the sale of a property

This answer was rated:

I need to submit a return for the sale of a property purchased by a council and wanted to know what expenses are deductible
Assistant: Which tax year is the deduction for?
Customer: The property was sold in 2015
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did extensive renovations on the property and wanted to know what I could deduct from the sale price and if compensation paid for the purchase is taxed at the same rate.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.
Many thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.

Thank you for your question..

You say the property was sold in 2015.

It depends on the nature of compensation .. please expand on why you received compensation. If you were paid compensation to vacate the property , it would be added to sales consideration and form part of your gain. This would be taxed at your CGT rate.

Renovation of a capital nature i.e. replacement of all windows/doors, reroofing, modernisation of whole bathroom etc would be deductible from the gain.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The house was to be compulsory purchased but a sale was agreed with the council. the property was let at the time and 7.4% compensation was paid.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The renovation was two new bathrooms built and an extension for new kitchen as well as gas central heating and installation of gas supply.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would I also be able to include remedial work for subsidence?

Thank you for your reply.

It appears compensation was for loss of rental income and this would be treated as income and subject to income tax.

The expenses outlined by you would be deemed capital improvement and deductible from capital gain. Remedial work for subsidence is also capital spend and deductible.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service/accept the service I have provided before you leave the site, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.

Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly apprecaited.

Many thanks.

Greatly appreciated.