How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14744
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I have been offered a position in Malaysia, it is month on

This answer was rated:

I have been offered a position in Malaysia, it is month on month off, I will be getting paid for both the month on and the month off. if I stay out of the UK so I'm not in UK for more than 90 Days. Will I be required to pay UK Tax in the Full tax year 2019/2018. the work is based on a 40 hour 5 day week my concern is that the total hours will not average the 35 min to be regarded as full time, but not sure if the paid time off can be counted against the accounting period
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: I have asked my accountant (Im currently self employed) but he wasn't sure
Assistant: Are you filing as a sole proprietor or independent contractor?
Customer: no I will be on an initial 2 year contract to ExxonMobile
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


As long as you do not spend more than 90 days in the Uk and none of them are for actual work purposes, then you can be treated as a non UK taxpayer as

1) this position will last for more than a full tax year

2) All the work needs to be conducted outside of the UK which appears will be the case

3) And you do not visit the UK for more than 90 days



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My concern is that it might not qualify as a Work Full Time as the average hours over 365 days will be 20/week taking into consideration I would not be working for 6 months (28 days onsite and 28 days off site), does that not form part of the automatic overseas test