bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

We are a UK company who are selling online courses (digital

Hi, We are a UK company who are selling online courses (digital product) in the US. We have no office or staff in the US, we just sell our courses to US consumers from the UK, My question is do we need to pay VAT in the UK for the US sales ? And if not do we have to pay sales tax in the US?
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: YES
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Your products are educational services under VAT Notice 701/30 and exempt from VAT. Even were they not so classified then they would be exports, a zero-rated supply, ie you charge VAT, but at a rate of 0%.

Cargo Servicss Inc advises:

'Sales tax is not automatically charged on imported goods. However, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) declarations are made available to state tax representatives that may occasionally claim state taxes from the importer. Duty is not charged if the value of the imported goods is up to $200.'

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Thank you for your support.