How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14776
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My daughter is buying a house which should complete at the

This answer was rated:

My daughter is buying a house which should complete at the end of this month. Initially she intended to live in it herself, but this may now not be possible. If the property has to be rented, are there any benefits or tax concessions she could claim in the light of the changing regulations on buy to rent property, regarding tax relief, renovations or updates on the property, please? Also, would it be beneficial to have an Accountant or Tax consultant from the outset?
Many thanks.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly


No there are no reliefs due - but any rents she collects and declares, she can claim a percentage of the interest suffered on any mortgage/loan repayment (which has restrictions in effect from 06/04/2019 - see link here )

Then she can claim for any credit or referencing checks, repairs (day to day repairs when rtenants are in situ) insurances etc - managing agent fees/ advertising

But when she sells there will be a capital gain position to consider from which capital improvements (such as new kitchen, new bathroom etc) can be offset, and the costs to buy and sell (so legal and estate agent fees)

As rental income is quite a simple declaration to make within self assessment and accountant or tax consultant would not be needed, but might be preferred so the right things are claimed at the right time

Let me know if I Can assist further



Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you