How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16451
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I want advice filling out a self assessment for the first

This answer was rated:

I want advice filling out a self assessment for the first time
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no that's what I am looking for
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have always been full time employed and paid income tax through PAYE. A year ago I received HMRC letters saying I had unpaid income tax for 4 years prior because I'd gone over the £100,000 salary threshold, but was totally unaware this changed things. I was told to complete a self assessment which I did using information HMRC gave me which resulted in me owing £4800. I believe I need to complete a self assessment again now but in the last year I have been made redundant and had two jobs, so I want to ensure I complete it correctly so I don't end up overpaying income tax.
Assistant: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: latest

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I was hoping to speak to someone as I don’t believe you can answer my questions without more information. Is it possible to speak to you over the phone?

If you make a request for a phone call I can call you.

You should be getting pop ups offering a phone call.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want help completing a self assessment. I'm being told it costs £43 to speak to you - will that include stepping through how to complete a self assessment?

Yes it will.

Do you want to go ahead with a call?

In the last month I've answered several questions similar to yours. I'll take you through the tax return and tell you how to avoid a large tax underpayment in future.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i'd like to go ahead with the call, but I need to make sure I have all the information ready first
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just getting the paperwork, so I can answer any questions


TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tony - Just submitting the tax return for 2017/18 and was asked "Are you claiming to reduce your 2018-19 payments on account?" Should this be yes or no?

Does the tax calculation shows that you are due to make payments on account?

Look at the bottom of your tax calculation?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i don't know what is meant by "payments on account". Payments on account section on tax calculation says "not entered"
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is the tax return where I'm due to pay £2486.20

Can you upload a copy of your tax calculation for 2017/18 to me using the paperclip tool and blanking out personal information.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do I blank out personal information? the tax calculation is an html file

Print it and then blank out personal information and scan it into your computer.

As I have calculated that your have probably paid the correct amount of tax in the current tax year, you should reduce the payments on account for 2018/19 to £0.

You only need to make payments on account of the 2018/19 tax liability if less than 80% of your overall tax liability for 2017/187 was collected through PAYE. I would say that over 80% was collected at source so the payments on account should be £0.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thank you - I have submitted


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One thing I forgot to ask. I received a letter in response to my 14/15 tax penalty appeals saying I have to pay the tax due before they can appeal the late penalty payments associated with that year. I am about to pay the outstanding tax amount for 14/15. Should I pay the interest too or will this reduce the likelihood of them refunding the interest if they uphold my appeal against the late penalty payments?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
should have said "before they can consider my appeal"

The interest will be payable regardless of the success or otherwise of your penalty appeal.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you very much for all your help Tony. Really appreciate it.


Make sure you pay your 2017/18 tax liability by 28 February 2019 to avoid a 5% surcharge.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh, thank you! I paid both straight after we spoke. Very kind of you tony,

That's good.