How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6652
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I sold my business 2 years ago and I am now on a very low

This answer was rated:

I sold my business 2 years ago and I am now on a very low income. I cannot pay my income tax bill from my final business year.
JA: Which tax year is this for?
Customer: 2017
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: My income now is mainly pension, pension credit. A small amont from self employment.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You must advise HMRC of your problems and negotiate a repayment regime that you can afford and that they will accept. That is the way forward now. Do this in writing so you have a hard copy of what you have suggested.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** what I have done. Their response was to send me another bill for £6083.97
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I prefer to write. HMRC do not like letters, they do not answer them.

Then complain about their lack of service. The procedure is here:

Such treatment is utterly intolerable.

You I know HMRC do not like letters as they have to be responded to and what has been said recorded, tough!

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your advice.

Thank you for your excellent support.