How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If I'm getting US social security benefits because of my

This answer was rated:

Hello, If I'm getting US social security benefits because of my passed away American husband,do I need to pay a tax in UK beeing a UK resident?I'm not US citizen and Green Card holder.
JA: What's your current age and retirement age?
Customer: I'm 61 now, in November this year 62
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm not getting full American pension because ( I think 70%) because I'm not full retirement age.That's it.Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This pension is taxable ion the UK and you must declare it on your annual self assessment tax return. Any tax deducted by the States is allowed as a tax credit against any UK liability on the same income stream under the Double Taxation Treaty between the two countries which precludes income being deducted in both. .

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I appreciate your help. By the way my Personal Allowance is much less than £ 11.850 per year.Therefore still I have to pay a tax in the U.K.?

Thank you for your support.

Why has your personal allowance been reduced; it may have so been to recover the tax due on your US pension?

Also your kind bonus.