How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Adam Hunt Your Own Question
Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 244
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Adam Hunt is online now

Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

This answer was rated:

Hello Pearl,
Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: im flat rate registered. And my business is an online retail shop of electronic cigarettes. Before e-cig businesses were under category “other” and flat rate was 7.5%, after 2016 all e-cig businesses were transferred by law under tobacco registration and flat rate became 4%, so I supposed to pay 4% from May 2016.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: when I contacted HMRC they refused to refund overpaid tax. They said it’s my responsibility what category I choose. But in my case it wasn’t my mistake it was law change and I supposed to be transferred to 4%. But they don’t agree they are responsible for that, though they confirmed that I supposed to pay 4%.
Assistant: Which tax year is the refund for?
Customer: May2016-November 2018

Hi I am one of the experts.

My guess is this that your anticipated refund is more than £10k so for this kind of repayment you need to submit Form 652. Please submit this form describing all errors and then request for refund from HMRC. Form link,

Hope I have answered your question?

Adam Hunt and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Adam, thank you for your advice, yes it’s over 10K, and My accountant filled this form already, still I received a refusal for refund from HMRC. They say I still have 30 days to answer their letter and explain why I disagree with their decision. That’s why I contacted you to follow out if I still can fight for it and win this case?