How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8467
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Having started a small business as a sole trader in 2017, I

This answer was rated:

Having started a small business as a sole trader in 2017, I fell into some difficulties in the start of this year and was unable to pay my self assessment in full. I have been in contact with them to offer them a monthly payment but it seems so difficult to get them to agree.
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: Only my accountant who is always very busy
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I am keen to move forward in the right direction.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

My advice is to persist and keep on persisting until your letters reach a higher level within the HMRC hierarchy. Always communicate with HMRC by letter, never use the telephone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I find them difficult on the telephone and they are always trying to ask questions that I do not have answers to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I appoint someone to deal with them on my behalf to discuss these matters with them ?

That is because the personnel manning the telephone lines have only about 5 stock answers to questions and anything beyond these and they are out of their depth. Stick to letters.

You can appoint an agent to act on your behalf.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou. Silly question but what address do I send letters to for HMRC with regard to this ?
The address that is on the letter I have is : SA, HMRC, BX9 1GX

That is the HMRC central Bexhill office. The post Code directs the mail to the appropriate department.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to confirm, this is the address to send all correspondence to ?

Correct, delays are guaranteed as the letters received in that office are then forwarded nationwide.

Thank you for your support.