How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6950
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am self-employed and also in receipt of child tax credit.

This answer was rated:

Hello. I am self-employed and also in receipt of child tax credit. I wanted to pay some money into my stakeholder pension during the 2018/19 tax year and have forgot. As well as topping up my pension, it would also have benefited me, as I can take the pension contributions off my income (for tax credit purposes). I am wanting to find out if there is any way around this or if I am just too late. Thank you
JA: How old was the child or children during the tax year in question?
Customer: 16 and 14
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Not at all, you can go back up to three years to mop up unused contribution levels.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's great news! So, just to confirm, I can make a payment into my pension this month and take the amount off my 2018/19 income declared to HMRC for tax credits?

You can indeed, but you won't be popular with HMRC if you have to adjust an already submitted return!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I've not completed my tax return yet so all good on that front. Thank you for your help..

Delighted to have been of assistance.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your support.